Strength training workouts are essential for runners.
Completing regular strength training exercises help prevent injuries, maintain strong muscles, and help increase kilometres. Also, we feel better overall.
While it may be tempting to skip extra workouts in your training plan after completing your weekly kilometres, doing so may quickly result in both physical and mental burnout, not to mention an injury that may take you off your feet for weeks.
Strength training workouts, like the ones I recommend below, are packed with healthy benefits for your entire body. These strength exercises build muscles not just in those running-specific areas, but throughout the rest of the body as well.
Taking the time to strengthen our core and upper body in addition to our lower body provide an extra source of power on the run. A strong core helps maintain healthy running posture, even as we start to fatigue. Strong arms provide extra power for those hard workouts and long runs, propelling our body at an even faster speed.
Although many runners find themselves afraid of weekly strength training workouts, squeezing in some regular strength exercises doesn’t have to feel like such a chore.
Runners can strength train even at home.
These simple strength training workouts for runners can be completed right at home in your living room. It’s packed with bodyweight, dumbbells, resistance band exercises to make things as simple and convenient as possible.
Many strength training plans involve heavy weights and fancy machines at the gym, but these types of workouts are not necessary to stay in running-shape.
These running-specific exercises target all of the muscles you’ll need to stay strong and injury-free during training. Fitting in a strength training workout each week could be as simple as completing these exercises at night while watching TV.
In about 30- 60 minutes, this strength training workouts will help strengthen your lower body, core and upper body.
Creating a healthy routine involves so much more than just running. Taking a bit of time each week to focus on some strength training exercises might be just what it takes to nail your next PR, safely increase your distance.
STRENGTH EXERCISES FOR RUNNERS TO STAY SRONG AND INJURY FREE DURING TRAINING
Strength Training Exercises for Runners
1. Perform Each Exercises For 60 seconds
2. 5-16 exercises each workout
3. 2-3 sets
TOP CORE EXERCISES
1. Plank Single Leg Raise
2. High Plank- Knee to Elbow
3. Bridge Marching- Glutes
5. Walkouts Plank Push Up
6. Resistance Band-Fire Hydrants
7. Side Plank Star
8. Russian Twist
9. Superman Low Back Pull
1. Air Squat Jump
2. Forward Lunge
3. Hip Bridge
5. Push Ups
6. Russian Twist
FULL BODY RUNNERS WORKOUT
1. Plank Knee Forward- Knee To Elbow
2. Reverse Lunge- Knee Up
3. Tricep Push Ups
4. Squat- Lateral Leg Lift
5. Marching Bridge
6. Lateral Lunge- Toe Tap
CORE AND OBLIQUES EXERCISES
1. Side Plank- Leg Lift
2. Side Plank Knee Crunch
3. Russian Twist
4. Windshield Whiper
5. Superman Push Ups
BEST ABS & CORE EXERCISES
1. Low Plank
2. Russian Twist
3. Up & Down Plank
4. Cross Body Toe Touch Crunches
5. Mountain Climbers
6. Figure 4 Crunches
7. Plank Rotation
8. Toe Touch Crunches
9. Plank Opposite Arm & Leg Lift
11. Single Leg Lift Plank
12. Push Ups
13. Low Side Plank- Bottom Leg Toe Tap
14. Reverse Crunches Legs Kick Up
16. Kettlebell Swing
RUNNERS DUMBBELL EXERCISES
1. Single Leg- Deadlift
2. Squat Press Up
3. Lunge Forward- Step Up
4. Weighted Hip Bridge
5. Bent Over Row
6. Plank- Side Plank Press Up
STRENGTH HIIT WORKOUT 1
1. Moving Mountain Climbers- Frogger
2. Side Lunge Bicep Curl Press Up
3. Deep Squat- High Row
4. Lateral Lunge One Side- High Knees Other Side
5. Jumping Jacks Press Up w/1 Dumbbell
6. Plank Row- Rotation Press Up
7. Squat Press Up- Skull Crusher
8. 4 Single Arm Kettlebell Swings- Squat Jump
9. V-Sit Russian Twist w/ 1 Weight
STRENGTH HIIT WORKOUT 2
1. Forward Lunge Rotation- Tuck Jump
2. Squat- 4 Press Ups
3. Single Leg Deadlift Row
4. 4 Jumping Jacks- 4 Toe Taps on Dumbbell
5. Burpee- Plank- Push Up- Row
6. Curtsy Lunge- Forward Raise
7. Single Leg Bridge- Press Up- Chest Fly
8. Lateral High Knees- Squat Thrust
9. Crunches- Press Up
STRENGTH HIIT WORKOUT 3
1. Fast Feet Around Dumbbell- 4 Plank Jacks
2. Side Lunge- Forward & Lateral Raise
3. Squat- Twist- Single Arm Press Up
4. Lateral Jumps- Forward & Back Jumps Over Dumbbell
5. Sumo Squat Touchdown- Jump- Plank Push Up
6. Forward Lunge Hallow- Woodchop
7. 4 Tricep Kickbacks- 4 Chest Fly
8. Reverse Lunge- Hop Knee Up- Press Forward
9. Box Plank- Push Up in Pike
10. Natural Jump Rope
These Strength/ Core/ Bodyweight training workouts for runners are perfect for any training plan. Each strength exercise targets a different muscle group to help prevent injury and imbalance as your kilometres increases.
Try incorporating these strength training workouts once/three times a week to stay fit and healthy throughout your training. You can even complete it right at home in your living room for the ultimate convenience. Your body will be grateful for the extra muscle and power during those hard workouts and long runs.
Perform Some Great Strength Exercises Regularly, Feel Better, Less Muscle Pain, Stronger, And Enjoy Some Better Fun Runs!